Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Home Sweet Mosquito Free Home

October 9, 2010

Well, I’m on a plane now.  I have such a horrible array of emotions, I don’t know where to begin. I have had such an experience of simultaneous sorrow and joy and know my life will never be the same.  I have made amazing new Haitian friends for what I hope is a lifetime.  The care and love that I saw our hosts and translators provide for others has inspired me in ways beyond words.

We took over the kitchen for breakfast this morning and made the orphans chocolate chip pancakes with bacon.  They were a little hesitant at first, as this was a great difference from the usual porridge, but the moment we started pouring the syrup, the forks moved a little quicker.  These children have such incredible manners, that they never eat with their hands, only with spoons.  So watching them try to scoop the bacon onto their spoons was entertaining.  I just wanted to tell them to pick it up with their hands, but they probably would have thought I was some sort of barbarian for that type of suggestion. 

Ooopss… we  are gonna land in 10 minutes…I’ll see when I break out the computer again!

Back on the plane…and why oh why, must every person in front of me insist on reclining the seat.  I’m scrunched.

The tears started falling as soon as we touched down in MIA and I called Paul as soon as physically possible.  Just the sound of his voice and the realization that I was a matter of hours away from him and the boys turned me into a teary eyed mess.  I just keep picturing me running into their arms at the airport and melting.  I didn’t know I missed them that much until I got so close to seeing them again.

Before we left the orphanage, the kids came up to give us kisses goodbye. They were so grateful for the little we provided.  They crave attention and I feel that is the least I can give them.

Saying goodbye to our interpreters was even harder.  In a short amount of time, I gained a tremendous amount of respect and honor for them.  They not only fixed the enormous language barrier, but cared enough to be our friends and help in any way possible.  They are amazing young men and I only want the best for them.

I don’t think I have expressed my gratitude for the women at the orphanage well enough either.  They went out of there way each and every meal to make sure we could keep up our energy for long, hot days and always had fresh lemonade ready for us.  They also seemed to know how refreshing a cold coca cola could be and would surprise us every now and then with a cooler filled with ice cold glass bottles.  AAaaaahhhhh…

I keep thinking of what I can do next.  I left part of my heart behind in Haiti.  It’s hard to land in Miami of all places where the bling bling is blinging away and everyone has so much excess.  Within a matter of hours, I went from the land of very little to the land of way too much. 

At the moment, I am wondering if it would be feasible to open up a birthing/newborn center in a tent city.  The logistics are overwhelming and I’m not sure where to even begin accumulating resources, but if God put this in my heart, I am faithful he will make it happen. 

I have also made what I hope is lifelong friendships with my American teammates.  This is a phenomenal group of peeps with an array of talents.  I think we complimented each other well with very little tension, if any at all.  We laughed, cried and fretted together, but overall, we prayed together and accomplished more than most could accomplish in a month, in a week.  We overcame flight delays, blocked roads, communication complications and cultural diversity to help over 500 Haitians.

The worst part is that I feel that we didn’t even make a dent.  There is so much more to do and such a greater need than any one team, or even nation, can accomplish. Just as I felt the deep deep desire to go to Haiti, I know that I need to do more.  I have been blessed with the ability to offer the most deserving people something they could benefit greatly from and there is no holding me back now folks. 

No comments:

Post a Comment