Sunday, March 11, 2012

The Beginning of Round 3!!!

I'm so excited to finally be able to say I am headed back to Haiti!  I leave in a few short weeks, on April 20th!  This time I am going back to where my love of Haiti started, at My Father's House Orphanage in Bon Repos, through Red Rocks Church. (Sorry, I can't stop using exclamation points, I'm just so excited!)  I have a lot to do in a short amount of time, but I'm confident that this is God's plan, so will just keep praying and crossing things off my to-do list as fast as possible!

This trip came out of nowhere and smacked me in the face!  I think it's quite the story, so I feel compelled to tell you how this all came about.  A few weeks ago, the night Resource RN, Kendall, came along with the Nursing Sup on his nightly rounds while I was at work.  She looked at me and said, "You went to Haiti, right?"  I confirmed that I had been to Haiti and was wondering how she knew this.  She responded, "I thought so; I'm dating Tony Babb and thought I saw pictures of you with him in Haiti."

Of course, at this point we had an instant bond and Kendall told me she was going to Haiti in April.  I learned of this trip through her and was impressed by their plans.  The most intriguing part involved staying in the mountains for as long as physically possible and going to villages that have never seen health professionals before.  After having to leave so many people behind in the mountains the last time I was with Red Rocks, I thought this sounded like a perfect opportunity to reach out even further in Haiti.

A few days later, I got an email from Tony, asking if I was interested in joining him on this trip.  I told him I would have loved to, but Paul is working out of town for a few more months, so I would have to pass.  A few days later, I was telling Paul about the trip and how I was bummed to have to miss this trip.  Without missing a beat, he responded, "You should go.  I'll work from the office that week and take care of the kids." I couldn't believe my ears!  Could this really work; could I really go to Haiti again and help people who have never had access to health care of any kind?  Was I willing to put myself through the physical and mental anguish again?  Is this even feasible?  Paul seemed to think that it was settled, I would go to Haiti and he quickly fell sound asleep.

However, I was beside myself imagining the possibilities.  I stayed up for a few more hours, just wondering if this would all work.  Would Tony still have room for me?  Could I get the time off of work?  Was I ready to leave the luxuries of the first world again?

It took a couple of weeks to sort out, but it eventually did!  I am on my way....

In the next few days (or hours, if I'm lucky) I'll post more details on our trip, requested donations and other goodies!  Stay tuned!

hint: if you "follow" me; you will get updates on when new updates are posted!

No comments:

Post a Comment