Wednesday, August 11, 2010

I have committed!

I am thrilled to announce that I have decided to act on the nagging feeling that has been weighing in my heart for months---I will be joining a medical mission outreach to Haiti in just a matter of weeks!

This journey started a year ago when our next door neighbors, Sean and Sara, embarked on their personal journey to Haiti. Hearing their stories and seeing their pictures sparked my interest in helping out the poorest country in the western hemisphere. A few months later, as we all know, Haiti was struck by a devastating earthquake. As the media continued to portray the unbearable images from the disaster, I could no longer ignore my personal desire to help. For the last year, everything in my being has been telling me to do whatever it takes to get there and offer my assistance.

Earlier this week, my prayers were answered when I committed to joining a mission team through Red Rocks Community Church going to Haiti on Oct 3. Our plans are still somewhat tentative, but we do know that we will be doing about 3 medical outreaches in Haiti. We will be visiting an orphanage set up by Dayspring Ministries, the group helping oversee this mission. We may also be visiting remote villages (by way of a treacherous 4x4 trek) and helping in tent cities. We will also be bringing supplies-anything from medical necessities to soccer balls to children shoes.

I can't believe I leave in about 6 weeks! A year ago, this was nothing but a dream that I might act on when it was convenient. Today, I am weeks away from stepping completely out of my comfort zone into a life that only exist on the nightly news for most of us. I am anxious, intimidated and beyond excited. Please pray for me as I embark on this journey.

No comments:

Post a Comment